Saturday, August 28, 2010

1 week post-op

Wow 1 week gone already and 6kg (13lbs) gone as well :).
Starting weight 119kg [262lbs] now 113kg [249lbs]
Starting BMI 48 - now 45

Have been doing reasonably well considering what my body has gone through.  Have bouts of feeling extremely tired so tend to have to nap during the day.  Pain is now about 98% gone and only get occasional uncomfortable feeling on my left side.  It's a internal pain that I can't really explain but it's not bad and I have not had to take any pain medication for a couple of days now.

Although the pain has been very very little I did get a reaction to the plasters over the cuts on my stomach and that has been driving me crazy.  I had to remove the main plasters and you will see from the photos below some of what the plasters did to me (a lot of the irritation has now gone down).  The small tape directly over the wounds is also causing irritation and I have had to trim some that have lifted because of blisters forming  under them.   The wound that has no tape on it is where the pain is located.  It's not the actual wound that is sore it is an internal pain / discomfort.  This was the area where I had the tube for draining whilst I was in hospital.  I was amazed at how small it is and how well it has healed.  Amazing what one's body can do to repair itself.













I am on the full liquids part of the diet and am mainly living on low fat yoghurt and homemade cream soups.  This morning I made some oats for breakfast and just made sure it was the consistency of a cream soup and then added a splash of milk.  Went down very well and was a nice change.  I also drink loads of water and have 1 cup of fresh orange juice (diluted) and then at night have a cup of green tea.  Am using Splenda as a sugar substitute as I would rather not have any sugar at this stage.

Eating requirements given by my dietician were that I should have a protein shake a day and at least 4 cups of food a day (ie. 2 cups yoghurt and 2 cups soup).  I need to break down the meals to 5 or 6 a day.  Unfortunately the protein shake I was given is disgusting and I have been unable to drink it.  As protein is a very important part of my new life I took a chicken breast and added it to the pumpkin soup I made.  I just made sure to blend everything so that it was very fine and able to go through a strainer.
I have no feeling of hunger at all but do get the feeling of being full (just an uncomfortable feeling).  I haven't been eating as much as I am supposed to but think that I am not too far off the mark.  The foods at this stage are all what they call "sliders" and they do not stay in my new pouch for long, they just slide through.  

I have my first post-op appointment with the doctor tomorrow so will see what he says.  I think and hope all is going according to plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment